Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Thursday 24 October 2013

Take A Look At Me Now by Miranda Dickinson.

In this book we meet Nell, who after finding out she has been made redundant decides to leave the sensible decisions behind and take a trip of a lifetime.

It's such a feel good book.  Nell is a lovely, warm character who despite being as insecure as the rest of us in some ways, makes brave, confident decisions to make the best of a bad situation.  In this way she can be an inspiration to all of us.

The characters are wonderful.  I would love to flat share with Nell's cousin and am sure I would have adored the customers in Annie's who sounded so much fun.

As someone who this year went to America for the first time and has well and truly got the America-bug I was delighted that this book based in San Francisco.  It's not somewhere I've ever really given much thought to visiting, but having read the detail of Miranda Dickinson's description of it, I'm finding myself daydreaming about what a fantastic trip I could have there.

Coincidentally, just like Nell, my boyfriend has always dreamed of opening his own American diner so this book held a special fascination for me.  I loved the description of the diner and I challenge anyone to read this book without drooling over some of the dishes served at Annie's; they sound incredibly naughty and very delicious!

One thing I loved about this book was that I couldn't guess the ending.  There were plenty of moments when I had a good go, but it was far from predictable which made it such an interesting read.

I can't recommend this book enough.  It's stuffed full of fun and friendship, with a big dollop of romance thrown in too.  But most of all this is an inspirational story that allows you to believe that even when things get tough you always have the chance to turn them around.  A wonderful chick-lit read.

The back page blurb:
What a difference a day makes...Nell Sullivan has always been known as 'Miss Five-Year Plan'. But when she finds herself jobless and newly single on the same day, Nell decides it is time to stop planning and start taking chances. Nell blows her redundancy cheque on a trip of lifetime to a place where anything is possible - San Francisco. There she meets a host of colourful characters, including the intriguing and gorgeous Max. Very soon the city begins to feel like Nell's second home. But when it's time to return to London, will she leave the 'new Nell' behind? And can the magic of San Francisco continue to sparkle thousands of miles away?

Title: Take A Look At Me Now
Author: Miranda Dickinson

No comments: