Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Saturday 19 October 2013

Instructions For A Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell.

I have a confession to make... I only picked up this book because the lovely people at O2 gave it away as a freebie... being able to walk out of WHSmiths without paying for a book is hugely exciting!

I wouldn't normally have chosen this book, as to be honest I never seem to enjoy the books that Richard and Judy choose to be part of their book club.  I seem to find them slow and hard to get in to.

Instructions For A Heatwave was no different.  I found it hard to get into the storyline, there seemed to be too many characters which I found confusing at first.  The story jumps around a lot, one minute being in the present tense then jumping back to childhood, which with the confusion between characters just made it difficult to read.

I love a story with a mystery that keeps you turning pages, but somehow this mystery just didn't grab my interest.  And I found that I couldn't relate to the characters.

I've heard lots of good things about this book but unfortunately it just wasn't for me.

The back page blurb:
It's July 1976. In London, it hasn't rained for months, gardens are filled with aphids, water comes from a standpipe, and Robert Riordan tells his wife Gretta that he's going round the corner to buy a newspaper. He doesn't come back. The search for Robert brings Gretta's children - two estranged sisters and a brother on the brink of divorce - back home, each wih different ideas as to where their father might have gone. None of them suspects that their mother might have an explanation that even now she cannot share.

Title: Instructions For A Heatwave
Author: Maggie O'Farrell

No comments: