Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Friday 31 May 2013

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling.

Like most Harry Potter fans I was really intrigued to read J. K. Rowling's first adult book.  I heard mixed reviews but was excited to get started.

I'm afraid to say I didn't enjoy this book one bit.  I had heard there were a lot of characters to get your head around at the beginning, and there is, but even as you carry on through the book I didn't find things became any clearer.  I was constantly trying to remember who everyone was, and how they were all inter-related.  I would have preferred there to be less characters so that I could get to know them better and became more involved in their story.

My main problem with the book is that there was no real interesting plot-line keeping me interested in the characters and making me want to keep reading. 

I felt like the book was trying to make a point about society, but it didn't make this point clearly enough.

Also, the book is just too long.  I don't mind reading longer books, but they have to have an interesting and intriguing plot to keep my interest and this just didn't.

All in all I wouldn't recommend this book which is a shame because I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and was looking forward to reading a totally different style of book the J. K. Rowling.  In the end it was only my reluctance to ever give up reading a book part way through that kept me going to the last page, but in hindsight I should have just given up with it as it didn't get any better towards the end.

Title: The Casual Vacancy
Author: J K Rowling

No comments: