Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Thursday 7 February 2013

The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins.

I initially watched the film The Hunger Games under duress but surprised myself by really enjoying it.  I had heard that the books were good and was really intrigued how they would follow up the first story as the first film seemed to be a complete story and didn't hint towards any future storyline.

I was really impressed with how well the author wrote a book which is essentially about children fighting each other to the death but without offending and alienating her readers.  Katniss, the main character, is very love-able and relate-able despite her many flaws - and the fact she too has killed people.

There were bits of the book which I thought were very violent considering these are essentially children's books.  But there are very strong themes of friendship and family running through the book.

The first book, The Hunger Games was brilliant.  It's so well written you literally don't want to put it down, virtually each page ends in a cliffhanger that leaves you wondering what will happen next.  The details of Panem and the games is very descriptive and paints a wonderful picture.  I found myself routing for the characters and despite already knowing the story from watching the film, I was gripped with the drama in the book.

Catching Fire, the second book was just as intense as the first, but by now you've already been on a journey with the characters and are right behind them.  I was shocked by some of the story twists, but even more than the first I couldn't stop reading as I just had to know what would happen.  (I was also starting to get a bit panicky about the fact there was only one more book to go and then the trilogy would be over!)

The third and final book, Mockingjay, in some ways lacked the action of the first and it wasn't quite as fast paced but it was still full of drama and heartbreak.  The book is full of twists and turns right up until the end, and I finished the book an emotional wreck.  The ending was both sad and happy, by most of all I was so disappointed to have finished the books.  I really enjoyed each one and the only thing that stops me being too sad at finishing them is that I know I will one day watch the next films!


May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour...



Title: The Hunger Games Trilogy: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire & Mockingjay.
Author: Suzanne Collins

No comments: