Right now I'm reading...


Right now I'm reading... Taylor Swift: The Whole Story by Chas Newkey-Burden.

Saturday 12 January 2013

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson,

It was the title that attracted me to this book, I like the fact it's totally obviously rather than a cryptic title which only hints to the story you're going to read.

The book narrates both the story of the hundred-year-old man's escape and also looks back over his life telling his life story.  If I had known the detail this book would go into about Alan's adventures with world leaders, incorporating some world politics I would probably have been put off, but it was actually more interested than I would have thought.

The characters are very rich, especially Alan, and I absolutely loved the way that the story ended, with both the escape and the life story tied up brilliantly.

This is a humorous book with lots of interesting characters. Even though there are quite a few strange and unrealistic twists and turns (a pet elephant for example) somehow you're happy to accept these and go with the flow of the tale.

If you would like a book that's refreshingly different, combining a bit dollop of make-believe with some real-life history then this one's for you.

Title: The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared.
Author: Jonas Jonasson.

No comments: